So I love the Dummies series of books! I have a few marketing themed ones and because I have taken an active role as a Marketing Strategist to develop my personal brand, I decided to buy a copy of ‘Personal Branding’ in this series. It’s a great book and a great read for anyone who wants to make a shift into making themselves more visible.
The concept of personal branding is not new and has been in existence since 1937, when Napolean Hill wrote his book, Think and Grow Rich. For my fellow entrepreneurs and individuals who are trying to build some momentum for their startup, it is important to pour all your energies into creating and promoting your core company brand.
Your brand identity will be by far one of your biggest factors for success. When potential customers connect with you through your stories, articles, blogs and videos it helps in both customer acquisition and retention.
Here are some major advantages to personal branding:
- Builds your confidence and increases your ability to be more persuasive – Don’t worry that you are not an expert at personal branding or that you are uncertain of where to start. Just jump in….as you begin creating content and interacting with prospective clients the activity becomes easier…just like riding a bike.
- People trust people more than they trust companies- Trust and respect will follow you when your messages are strongly embedded (repeatedly) into the consciousness of your target audience. A strong personal brand will enable you to effortlessly attract customers, keep existing ones and provide you with new business opportunities.
- The benefits move beyond just the benefits to your organization – Even if your business ventures prove fatal, developing your personal branding will help build consistency and sustainability. Once a brand always a brand! If google thinks you are a somebody then you are a somebody. Clients will keep reaching out to you once they see you as an expert in your field.
- Increase sales success – By golly yes! As business develops and globalization steers its course, the number of people you know and the relationships you have with them will be your most valuable asset. Any good sales person will tell you that their success in sales is a direct result of the people they know and the referrals they acquire from those relationships.
- Gives you a competitive advantage against others in your industry – Personal Branding help you to position yourself in the mind of your marketplace as THE EXPERT…and be able to command higher fees – work less and make more!
PERSONAL BRANDING IS NECESSARY.
Branding is an executive-level and conscious strategy that works for professionals at all levels. Whether you are an entrepreneur, consultant or an accountant looking for a new job, personal branding can help no matter where you are in your career.
I urge everyone to take advantage of this powerful way to differentiate themselves, a concept that many have been using for years. Personal branding generates interest and opens doors.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Debbie-Ann Jollie is a Marketing Strategist and the principal Director of HashSpace Limited. She is a certified trainer with over 15 years’ experience in marketing management both in public and private organizations as well as through consulting.